In this #TLGredux, join AFI and Sridhar Katragadda, Systems Analyst with the City of Virginia Beach, VA and Dr. J. Derek Loftis, Assistant Research Scientist at the College of William & Mary on September 18 for a glimpse of the myriad synergistic activities that are currently in progress as we highlight the recent local and regional successes of collaborations that embrace the smart city paradigm. Emphasis is placed on how to effectively leverage data analytics, cloud technologies and voice-assisted devices to enhance community preparedness, strengthen flood mitigation efforts and inform critical decision-making.
Sea level rise, compounded by storm surge from hurricanes and Nor’easters, has encouraged cities in Hampton Roads to test and share their flood observations and prediction solutions with the world through the Global Cities Team Challenge (GCTC) competition. The City of Virginia Beach plays a key role in the regional collaboration, StormSense, which uses Internet of Things (IoT) water level sensors to monitor flood-prone areas and includes the cities of Newport News and Norfolk and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS). The joint initiative has gained global and national recognition and in 2016, won GCTC's Replicable Smart City Technologies (RSCT) grant. For the StormSense project, city capital improvement programs and RSCT funding are enabling a proliferation of water level sensors that provide much-needed boundary condition data for VIMS hydrodynamic modeling research efforts. Regional partnerships between cities, private industry and the research community, coupled with collaborative participation in innovation competitions on the global stage, are providing a proactive pathway to address future flooding challenges.
- Learn how to achieve shared goals through the power of regional collaborations and participation in national and global competitions.
- Gain insight into Internet of Things (IoT) water level sensor selection/installation processes and lessons learned from the StormSense project.
- Discover new methods of leveraging predictive modeling and data science analytics to raise awareness via voice-assisted systems.
- Explore opportunities to engage citizens by crowd sourcing data collection and analytical activities.
View the case study!
Have questions? Contact Ryan Spillers, Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or pocket it for now until the Q&A during the live session!
- September 18, 2018
- 01:00 pm 02:00 pm ET
- Registration Deadline: 09/18/2018
- Member Price:$49.00