How do you prioritize resource allocations?
As City Halls and County Offices begin to slowly re-open, the crippling impact of this pandemic on our local economies is waiting inside to greet us. The sudden drop in revenues, accompanied by a growing demand for critical services, as well as a slew of unanticipated expenses associated with serving our communities in a virtual environment, is wreaking havoc on our budgets. Local governments are already making drastic reductions in their current budgets and are anticipating that additional reductions will need to be made in next year’s budget. Seems like deja vu all over again as we think back to the fiscal distress caused by the Great Recession. Just as before, there is no “silver bullet”, so we turn to traditional responses like “across the board cuts”, furloughs, wage freezes and shorter work weeks out of necessity (and yes, desperation).
As we all “rush to treatment”, this webinar series will offer some diagnostic tips, techniques and tools that were successful in combating the impacts of the Great Recession and are perhaps even more applicable as we face today’s fiscal crisis. These sessions align with AFI’s recently published “Guiding Principles for 21st Century Local Government”. In this 5-part series, we will discover:
How to “spend within your means” in a fiscally prudent way
- How to better understand and communicate your organization’s true “picture of fiscal health”
- How to maintain reserves when budgets are under stress
- How to ensure the budget is a reflection of actual spending
- How to identify “what you do” at a program level and “how much it costs” to offer those programs
- How to determine “why we do what we do, focusing on outcomes that meet our community’s needs”?
- How to transition from a “line-item” to a “programmatic” budget focus
- How to engage decision makers in more meaningful and strategic discussion about finances and the budget
Now more than ever, we need to turn from the antiquated ways of dealing with a fiscal crisis and employ some better, more strategic ways of dealing with our short-term fiscal stress and make our organization an “anti-fragile local government built for long-term fiscal sustainability”.
For Alliance for Innovation Members only: Following the webinar you will be invited to attend a small group “office hours” workshop with Jon. You will have the opportunity to bring your specific challenges for guidance and coaching.
Live Session – Aug 25 at 11am MT
For AFI Members only: Office Hours – Aug 27 at 11am MT
Join the Office Hours here https://us02web.zoom.us/s/82647420863
- August 25 - 27, 2020
- 11:00 am 12:00 pm MT
- Registration Deadline: 08/27/2020
- Member Price:$0.00