This new report examines the economic, social and cultural impact of libraries in the United States. As the current economic environment is impacting library budgets and library usage is increasing, particular attention is paid to the role that libraries play in providing assistance to job-seekers and support for small businesses. Information includes statistics on:
- Americans receiving job-seeking help and career assistance at public libraries
- Libraries as a resource for small businesses
- The prevalence and scope of library activity in the United States
- Libraries as providers of free services to the community such as Wi-Fi access, technology training and meeting rooms
- Comparisons of library activities to various retail and entertainment businesses
Visit http://www.oclc.org/us/en/reports/stackup/default.htm for a downloadable PPT that city managers and library directors can use to share this data with others.