- First county of its size to win the top spot three years in a row
- Recognized for open government, planning, public engagement, cyber security, collaboration and operations
- Support for public engagement and constituent services highlighted
Arlington County is the No. 1 digital county in the nation for a third straight year. The Center for Digital Government and National Association of Counties 2018 award recognizes Arlington for its best technology practices in areas of open government, transparency, public engagement, planning, cyber security and operations. Arlington received the award for counties in the 150,000-249,999 population category.
“It’s an honor for Arlington to be recognized on a national level for the innovative digital solutions and services we’re providing to our community,” said Arlington County Board Chair Katie Cristol. “Our staff is driven by the goal of using technology to foster an open government and enhance constituent services. This recognition from the Center for Digital Government and National Association of Counties is a result of their vision, commitment to excellence and long-term strategic planning, coupled with valuable input from our residents.”
Achievement in Open Government, Constituent Services
As this year’s winner, Arlington’s Department of Technology Services was recognized for its core functionality of ensuring secure, resilient and seamless technology operations 24 hours, 365 days a year. The award also focused on the County’s success in leveraging technology to support and enhance citizen-centric services and public engagement. Key achievements highlighted for Arlington in the program year:
- The Open Government Program to increase transparency and access to information, including:
- establishing an Open Data Advisory Group; creating a Countywide data inventory; and sharing new data sets via the open data portal.
- The new Digital Inclusion Initiative that aims to bring free broadband access to low- and moderate-income households in Arlington, including those with school-age children by leveraging the County’s own fiber optic network, ConnectArlington. Of note, the initiative’s demonstration project, which will bring free internet to over 150 children in the Arlington Mill Residences later this year.
- The Defining Arlington’s Digital Destiny Campaign series of discussions to engage the public on the impact of the digital revolution on defined aspects of life and what it will mean for the future of living and working in Arlington.
- Completion of the ConnectArlington fiber-optic network that provides a secure, reliable link between Arlington County Government facilities and Arlington Public Schools for a cost savings. Greater accessibility and enhanced citizen services through new technology offerings such as the Library Mobile App, the My Arlington Projects online mapping tool, the One-Stop Arlington online solution for building permits, and others.
About the Digital Counties Survey Award
The Digital Counties Survey Award provides an annual measure of performance and innovationin using technology by taking an in-depth look at the programs and plans of counties across the nation. Arlington won the 2018 top ranking for its work in several areas on behalf of residents, Arlington businesses and institutions, and staff. These areas included: open government, strategic planning, public engagement, cyber security, collaboration, shared services, operations, staffing and resiliency. Also considered was how progress in these technology areas helped support the County’s overall priorities and goals for the year.
Arlington County will be presented with the award at the National Association of Counties’ conference on July 14 in Nashville, Tennessee.
Learn more about how Arlington County is making advances with technology.
Shannon Whalen McDaniel, 703-228-3685
Arlington Va., is a world-class residential, business and tourist location that was originally part of the “10 miles square” parcel of land surveyed in 1791 to be the Nation's Capital. Slightly smaller than 26 square miles, it is the geographically smallest self-governing county in the United States, and one of only a handful with the prized Aaa/AAA/AAA bond rating. Arlington maintains a rich variety of stable neighborhoods and quality schools, and has received numerous awards for Smart Growth and transit-oriented development. Home to some of the most influential organizations in the world — including the Pentagon — Arlington stands out as one of America's preeminent places to live, visit and do business.