According to results of ICMA’s recent Digital Use Survey conducted in November 2014, 88% of respondents reported that their local government has a social media presence. This high usage is also reflected in the articles and documents on the social media topic on the Knowledge Network.
Highlights from the survey include:
- Overall, 90% of respondents use a smartphone, with Apple iOS and the Android the most popular.
- Regardless of age group, respondents prefer to read articles and reports electronically and magazines and books in print.
- LinkedIn and Facebook are the social networking communities reported by the highest percentage of respondents.
- A majority of respondents report that they are “very satisfied” or “satisfied” with these features of the ICMA website/Knowledge Network:
- Premium content
- Topic groups
- The directory
- 41% of ICMA members use the ICMA website/Knowledge Network daily or weekly.
- A majority of members report that they often find what they are looking for on the ICMA website/Knowledge Network.
The survey was sent to all local government employees (members and nonmembers) in the ICMA database. A summary of the survey results is available in the Knowledge Network.