- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 71,802
- Website: http://www.baytown.org/
- Where: 4201 Market Street, Baytown, Texas 77520
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Mar 12 2019
Come Join the Growth In Baytown
Hidden from the big city hustle and bustle, Baytown is one of the Texas Gulf Coast's best kept secrets. With a population of approximately 75,000, it is the fourth largest city in the Houston metropolitan area and is situated at the north end of Galveston Bay. The Baytown area was the location for the first offshore drilling operation in Texas (second in the nation) and is currently experiencing tremendous growth brought on by expansions in the energy market. Baytown is currently experiencing a tremendous economic boom which is increasing the quality of living for its residents.
About the Position
Do you want to make a real difference in a great and growing community - not just in the here and now, but for generations to come? If so, you might be just who we're looking for to join our Planning and Development Services team.
As a Planner II, you are responsible for case management of major land development applications, under the supervision of the Senior Planning Manager. The Planner II is also responsible for the review and analysis of subdivision plats, zoning changes, and text amendments. This includes reviewing commercial and residential permits along with being able to read and review construction and engineering plans. The additional responsibilities of this position consist of working in conjunction with the Long Range Planner on comprehensive planning projects independently or in support of the ongoing long-range and special projects relating to annexation, code amendments, land use plans, and economic development programs.
• Reviews development proposals for compliance with the Comprehensive Plan and development regulations pertaining to zoning, subdivision, parking and landscaping. Acts as case manager on new commercial project applications.
• Reviews building permit applications and engineering civil plans for zoning compliance. Investigates zoning complaints and is a witness on zoning violations. Reviews variance and special exception permit applications. May assist in annexation work. Prepares and posts notice of public hearings.
• Conducts extensive research in specific or general project areas. Writes, or assist in writing, regulations relating to land development and updates guiding documents, i.e. the Comprehensive Plan.
• Assumes project management and design role for major planning initiatives and special projects to implement the city goals, including overseeing work of consultants, conferring with other departments, citizens, civic leaders, neighborhood groups, developers, real estate agencies and engineers.
• Uses permit tracking software to track land development cases and to prepare reports.
• Performs all other related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in planning, landscape architecture, architecture, engineering, or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
2. Three years related experience in urban design and/or urban planning or closely related field.
3. Familiar with permit tracking software and Microsoft Office suite and Adobe products.
4. Strong customer service skills, ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and situations.
5. Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record.