Would you like to expand your professional skill set with experience in China?
The ICMA China Center invites ICMA members and other local government representatives to participate in a study tour that will provide international presentation and consulting opportunities in three distinctive cities.
The study tour, scheduled for April 10-20, 2017, includes professional conferences in Qingdao, Shandong Province; Shenzhen, Guangdong Province; and Xi’an, Shaanxi Province. Each city offers historical, cultural, and educational attractions that enhance the experience.
Opportunities for Members
Study tour participants will make presentations and provide technical recommendations to Chinese local governments on urban development, public safety, and other topics of local interest. At the conferences, they may serve as keynote speakers and session panelists and participate in roundtable discussions. Here are some highlights:
- Qingdao: Starting with a welcome dinner hosted by the city, participants can visit the city’s high-tech zone and a Sponge City pilot project and make technical recommendations to the city government. They will also participate in an International City Management Summit, where they can share best practices in the range of local government management responsibilities, from economic development to utilities management. And, of course, they can sample Qingdao beer.
- Shenzhen: Shenzhen offers opportunities to visit local enterprises and Shenzhen University, interact with students, and contribute to an International Forum on Smart Cities. Participants also can network at the Conference on International Exchange of Professionals hosted by the Chinese State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs (SAFEA).
- Xi’an: Well known for the terracotta warriors, Xi’an will host the International Conference on Sustainable Land Use and facilitate exchanges among U.S. and Chinese land engineering professionals. Conference topics include brownfields and environmental protection. Study tour participants also will visit the Shaanxi Yellow River project.
Sign Up Now
See the study tour brochure for additional details, and sign up by December 30, 2016, for the best rate. The price covers lodging, meals, ground transportation, and domestic airfare in China. It does not cover international airfare. Here are the prices that apply for each registration deadline:
- December 30, 2016: $2,950
- January 31, 2017: $3,150
- February 28, 2017: $3,300
For further details and registration information, contact Luo Lijun, ICMA China Center executive director (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Daniet Moges, assistant program manager at ICMA (email@example.com).
About the ICMA China Center
The ICMA China Center was formally established in 2011 as a partnership between ICMA and the China University of Political Science and Law (CUPL). Its mission is to improve the quality of city management in China by providing information and services to Chinese city officials. Local government professionals from the United States, in turn, have an opportunity to learn from the Chinese experience with rapid, large-scale urbanization. ICMA has been approved as an official training partner of SAFEA and has established a training base in China.
The China Center has offered opportunities for ICMA members to teach courses at CUPL—a very rewarding experience for the students as well as the ICMA instructors. The Center is also active in bringing Chinese delegates to the United States for training and exchanges of ideas.